Downloadable PDF: Hinsley CV
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Hinsley, A. & Lee, H. (2015). #Ferguson strategic messaging: How local journalists and activists used Twitter as a communication tool. #ISOJ, The Official Research Journal of the International Symposium on Online Journalism (5)1, 124-146
- Gil de Zuniga, H. and Hinsley A. (2013). The press versus the public: What is ‘good journalism?’ Journalism Studies 14(6), 926-942.
- Hinsley, A. & Johnson, S. (2013). ‘Sharing’ the news on Facebook: Exploring the differences between news-sharers and non-sharers on the social media site. #ISOJ, The Official Research Journal of the International Symposium on Online Journalism 3(1), 19-38.
- Gil de Zuniga, H., Lewis, S., Willard, A., Valenzuela, S., Lee, J.K., and Baresch, B. (2011). Blogging as a form of journalism: A model linking perception, motivation, and behavior. Journalism 12(5), 586-606.
- Correa, T., Willard Hinsley, A., and Gil de Zuniga, H. (2010). Who interacts on the Web?: The intersection of users’ personality and social media use. Computers in Human Behavior 26(2), 247-253.
- Hinsley, A. (2013). Managing work identities in the “new” newsrooms. In G. Sylvie (Ed.), Media decision-making: Under new management. Lisbon, Portugal: Media XXI.
- Correa, T., Bachmann, I., Hinsley, A. & Gil de Zuniga, H. (2013). Personality and social media use. In E. Li, S. Loh, C. Evans & F. Lorenzi (Eds.), Organizations and Social Networking: Utilizing Social CRM to Engage Consumers. Hershey, PA: IGI Press.
- Hinsley, A. and Schmitz Weiss, A. (2012). The new ‘normal’ at news organizations: Journalists’ evolving job roles. In K. Kaufhold et al. (Eds.), The future of news: An agenda of perspectives. San Diego: Cognella Publishing.
- Willard Hinsley, A. & Schmitz Weiss, A. (2010). The new newsroom: Changing job roles and news organizations. In M. McCombs et al. (Eds.), The future of news: An agenda of perspectives. San Diego: Cognella Publishing.
- Kaufhold, K., Hinsley, A., and Lewis, S.C., (Eds.). (2012). The future of news: An agenda of perspectives. Second edition. San Diego: Cognella Publishing.
- McCombs, M., Willard Hinsley, A., Kaufhold, K., and Lewis, S.C. (Eds.). (2010). First edition. The future of news: An agenda of perspectives. San Diego: Cognella Publishing.
- Van Slette, S. and Hinsley, A. (2017, forthcoming). Public relations, politics and rape culture: A case study of frames and counter-frames in the press. Media Report to Women.
- Hinsley, A. (2015, Aug. 21). Journalism students learn many lessons from Ferguson. Kansas City Star
- Hinsley, A. (2013, Dec. 11). Blog posts as reflection tools. (Yes, really.) The Notebook. Reinert Center for Transformative Teaching & Learning.
- Willard Hinsley, A. (2010). Coverage of women and women journalists in Columbia Journalism Review. Media Report to Women 38(2), 12-19.
- Willard, A. (2007, May). Why do women leave newspaper jobs? Quill, 95(4), 23.
- Willard, A. (2005). Time to Redesign? How do you know, and how do you do it at a community newspaper.
Grassroots Editor 46(4), 24-29.
Hinsley, A. (2016). The Routledge Companion to Labor and Media, by Richard Maxwell (Ed). New York, NY: Routledge. International Journal of Media Management (in press).
- Hinsley, A. (2014). Rethinking journalism: Trust and participation in a transformed news landscape, by C. Peters and M. Boersma (Eds.) Journalism 15(6), 809-811.
Saint Louis University (St. Louis, MO), Assistant Professor
- Multiplatform Journalism: Spring 2016, Fall 2015, Spring 2015, Fall 2014, Spring 2014, Spring 2013, Spring 2012, Spring 2011
- News Writing: Fall 2015, Spring 2015, Fall 2013, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Spring 2011, Fall 2010
- Contemporary Issues in Media (Graduate class): Fall 2013, Fall 2011
- Media & Society: Spring 2014, Spring 2012
- Media & Society Labs (2): Fall 2014, Fall 2012, Fall 2011
- Independent Study with Graduate Student: Summer 2015, Spring 2014, Summer 2012, Summer 2011
University of Texas (Austin, TX), Teaching Assistant
- News Editing: Fall 2009-Spring 2010, Fall 2008-Spring 2009, Fall 2007-Spring 2008
- Intermediate Reporting: Fall 2006-Spring 2007
Texas State University (San Marcos, TX), Adjunct Instructor
- Editing for Clear Communication: Spring 2009, Spring 2007
- Introduction to Mass Communication: Fall 2007
Kansas State University (Manhattan, KS)
- Instructor, News and Feature Writing: Fall 2005, Summer 2005
- Teaching Assistant, Editing and Design Labs: Spring 2006, Fall 2004-Spring 2005
Teaching Grants & Fellowships
Innovative Teaching Fellowship. Spring 2016-Fall 2016.
- New course: Social media as professional tools
Try It Grant: $1,000. 2014-2015
- iPad minis: Creating multiplatform journalism with one device
- Managed reporting staff through developing article ideas and primary editing
- Developed and oversaw production of theme pages and special sections
- Wrote editorials
- Served as representative of newspaper in the community
- Assisted editor with hiring, evaluations and budget decisions
- Covered crime and general reporting assignments
- Tracked crime incidents reported to law enforcement
- Developed and maintained rapport with law enforcement and court officials
- Secretary, Media Management & Economics Division, Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication: 2014-2015
- Future of News Audience Engagement Committee, President’s Initiative. Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication: 2013-2014
- Professional Freedom & Responsibility Chair, Media Management & Economics Division. Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication: 2011-2013
- Host Committee, Annual Conference in St. Louis, MO. Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication: 2011
- Teaching Chair, Media Management & Economics Division. Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication: 2010-2011
- Presidential Scholarship interviews. Saint Louis University: Spring 2016, Spring 2013, Spring 2012, Spring 2011
- College of Arts & Sciences Graduate Faculty Membership Committee. Saint Louis University: 2012-2014
- Faculty director, Department of Communication Advisory Board. Saint Louis University: 2011-present
- Technology Committee, Department of Communication. Saint Louis University: 2013-present
- Graduate Studies Committee, Department of Communication. Saint Louis University: 2010-2015
Journalism & Documentary Film Academy Committee & Co-Leader, Department of Communication. Saint Louis University: 2013-2014
- Mentoring Matters Series Committee, Department of Communication. Saint Louis University: Spring 2013
- Leadership Council, Young Friends of St. Louis Public Radio. KWMU, St. Louis Public Radio: 2011-2013
- Instructor, Video Journalism (Grades 5-8). Youth Learning Center, St. Louis, MO: Summer 2012, Summer 2011
- Final Cut Pro
- WordPress CMS
“Behind the headlines,” June 24, 2016. St. Louis Public Radio
“St. Louis professor on journalism lesson from Ferguson: ‘The impact is ongoing,’” Aug. 14, 2015. Poynter Institute
“Missouri professor: ‘You could teach a whole class on Ferguson,’” Aug. 26, 2014. Poynter Institute
“Social media & Ferguson,” Aug. 13, 2014. KMOV St. Louis
“The impact of social media on Sunday’s looting,” Aug. 11, 2014. FOX-2 St. Louis
“The culture of taking selfies,” May 14, 2014. FOX-2 St. Louis
“News aggregator Realtime STL seeks to build name as ‘one-stop shop’ for St. Louis news,” Feb. 4, 2014. St. Louis Public Radio
“UMSL, SLU introduce social media into curriculum,” Aug. 9, 2013. St. Louis Business Journal